Thursday, January 12, 2012

Movie Day: The Adventures of Tintin

King's take:
We saw The Adventures of Tintin!
I think it was good.
The captain, Captain Haddock, was trying to get his ship back.
The cat came in the window and the dog chased it. They broke a lot of things, and they knocked over the ship. That made Tintin very angry at Snowy.
Favorite part: My favorite part is when Tintin found the scroll for the ship and the two policemen arrested the bad guy.
Funniest part: Well, when the dog hung onto the falcon, and the captain had to fight for his ship.
"Miaka, you liked it when they were sword-fighting?"
"I adore sword-fights!"
Only a true Haddock can solve the riddle!
The secret weapon, the Milanese Nightingale! The singer gave the captain a headache and he had to cover his ears. Her voice shattered the glass! Then the falcon stole the ship. I hate that falcon.
Tintin got it back, but if he didn't let it go the captain and Snowy would go overboard and die.
(At this point, lunch arrived and King lost interest in having me write down his thoughts.)

Miaka's take:
Right across the top of the movie posters, it says that both Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson worked on it. I may not know much about movies, but I know those names, so I knew this would be impressive. The Adventures of Tintin definitely met my expectations! A wonderful, rollicking and hilarious comedy adventure.
We made good time on the trip from my place to the movie theater, in spite of the snow still coming down, the roads we took that hadn't been plowed yet, and Patch's phone GPS attempting to confuse us--it didn't like my route that skips several traffic lights. Patch liked the route, though the roads were often not plowed as they're not considered important enough to bother with, apparently. We'd left my place at noon on the dot, and still arrived at the theater in time to buy our tickets for the 12:15 showing and head in to grab seats just as the last of the previews was playing. Patch was kind enough to volunteer for a snack run, so King had popcorn and a drink--water, because his throat is still bothering him.
The movie itself was truly excellent; my only regret is that my husband didn't get to see it too. The bumbling police officers are a silly little treat, and there is all manner of adventure! Sword-fights, gunfights, grand chase scenes, things that explode; pretty much all anyone could want from a story of adventure. Including a 'sword-fight' between giant cranes!
Bits and pieces of Tintin's character reminded me of Kudou Shinichi from Meitantei Conan (Detective Conan/Case Closed), one of my very favorite characters. As mentioned above, I adore watching sword-fights on screen, not that I can really explain why. Chase scenes are also wonderfully exciting, somehow even more so when they include the occasional random bit, such as the tank caught inside a building, which ends up chasing Tintin all the way to the docks, with a part of it looking almost reminiscent of the City Escape level in Sonic, where the hero is running from a big ol' truck. This will get overly wordy rather quickly if I keep going on about bits I particularly liked. It's a good movie, go see it.
By the time the movie let out, the snow had stopped falling, though the plows still had a good bit of work to do. It being about two or so in the afternoon, we were all getting a bit hungry, so off we went to Blake's for a late lunch. (Patch tagged along today as he had the day off work and was also interested in seeing the movie. He provided transportation.) The way plans worked out, there wasn't any real chance to record King's take on the movie with anything other than words on paper, so I set about writing it down (my handwriting being rather swifter and more legible than his) while we waited for our lunches.
Lunch was tasty, and lively with discussion of various topics. King capped it off with a sundae (Archi gave me a coupon yesterday because it had been sitting in his wallet). Moose Tracks and Caramel Caribou ice cream, topped off with hot fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry (which King let me have, as he doesn't care for cherries).
Mom had granted permission for King to be out and about most of the afternoon, and asked only that the boys head for home by about 5pm, so King requested a stop at my place to catch another disc of Rayearth. Even skipping both openings and endings, we didn't manage to make it through the whole disc before they had to go. Ah well, we'll finish it next week. I've also noticed that honey water really seems to help his throat; he doesn't cough nearly as much after drinking some.

No comments:

Post a Comment